Monday, July 04, 2005

Work rants and Commuters

July 4th, 2005 - So it has been a week since I've started work. So far, I've only done one thing - but I guess it's a start. I'm not complaining, but I'm just restless sitting there half the time doing nothing. Today, I started to take notes on the major housing initiatives in our province - it was a great way to waste time (and also quite educational).

My impression of the branch remains: chaotic. I know it's in transition but I wish they would pay a little bit more attention on the people they hired. I don't understand how they had time to give each summer student a project but never took the time to get me something to do (especially since I'll be there for the next year !). They even had a branch orientation session for their summer students...so how come I've been neglected ?

Anyway, rants aside, since I've started my job, I have also become a rush hour "commuter". I commute to and from work during rush hour; I read the Metro in the morning; I even bought a Metropass ! So after a week of obeservations, here are some of my findings of the typical TTC subway commuter:

1) Never ever talk to someone on the subway in the morning. You might get dirty looks from people who are trying to take in that extra half hour of sleep.

2) Fight for a seat - when the doors open at Finch, run to the closest seat and pretend to fall alseep right away. That way, you won't have to give up your seat to anyone.

3) Getting a copy of the Metro is a must. People will also fight over that. It will also give you something to read at work.

4) Always carry a book - I was surprised by how much reading I could get done.

5) Squeeze into the train even if it's packed - if you don't get in now, you'll never get in.

6) The subway is a GREAT place to check out guys. This is primairly true in the afternoon rush hour...but then again this isn't a new observation - I've known that since I was in school...

OK so it's another work day tomorrow. Next blog will probably be about the office move and my new cubicle situation (which I found out today that I won't be sitting anywhere near the people I work with now), unless something dramatic happens this week..or not...

No comments: