Friday, September 16, 2005

Seven Swords @ TIFF


September 16, 2005 - I'm sorry but I didn't quite get Seven Swords.

Seven Swords was the 2nd last film on our TIFF circuit. It wasn't the first showing of the film so nobody was there to introduce it except for this one volunteer. The film stars really big Hong Kong singers/movie stars, including Charlie Young (remember when she used to sing too?) and Leon Lai (does he still sing?). The movie was really long - maybe because I didn't understand the story (I had to read the subtitles because the movie was in Mandarin) - i.e. what was the scene with the falling ice and the swords flying into the air ? I also had problems separating the 7 swordsman - I know Charlie and Leon were two of them but all the other ones looked the same to me.

Anyway, many of the scenes were beautiful though - definitely a big Chinese epic - but then again I've never really enjoyed these martial arts film. Apparently there's going to be a sequel to this movie - though I'm pretty sure I'll catch that one on dvd...


No comments: