Thursday, January 04, 2007

On the GO!


January 4, 2006 - I rode the GO train for the first time today! I have wanted to ride the GO for a long time - but never really had the opportunity. For one, I don't live near a GO train station (Richmond Hill station is about 10-15 minutes from my parents by car, and there is no GO service anywhere near Yonge/Eglinton), and second, I also don't work (or back then, went to school) near a GO station - so what's the point of riding the GO and then still have to transfer on to the subway?

So anyway, I have to say that the GO section of Union Station is pretty crappy - dingy lights, ugly tiles, bad architecture. It's hard to believe that this is part of the same beautiful complex that holds the Grand Hall for the VIA trains. The display boards are also kinda cheap looking - compared to those massive display boards that you see in other large train stat
ions around the world. It's definitely a far cry from the train stations of Europe (where most of my train riding experience occurred).

The trains themselves remind me of the S-bahn in Germany - with the two floors, seats facing one another, etc (but no "next station" signs). Our train was pretty empty - given it was the last train up to Stouffville. We sat on the top floor and I have to say the ride was fairly comfortable, though not as fast as I would expect. Because it was pretty dark, it was hard to check out the view (though I was promised that we will do this again in the summer!). Half an hour later though, we arrived at the new Milliken Station - the station was typical of the majority of GO stations: a platform surrounded by a huge parking lot (has no one heard of transit villages?).

The whole experience was lots of fun - and now I can say I've been on the GO train! Thanks B, for riding the train with me so I could share this silly yet fun "first-time" experience with you. =) And thanks to Jenny as well, for putting up with our silliness (I can think of more "ation" words now!) and for taking our pictures! haha - let's do this again soon guys!

Note: I kept my ticket from the ride and will scan and put it on here soon!




No comments: