Monday, September 10, 2007

Restless Days

September 10, 2007 - So a good friend of mine at work told me today he's leaving the branch to take on a new job with the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority (aka the place that every up and coming transit planner wants to work at)! Anyway, I'm thrilled for him - a little surprised given how we've talked about working there before. A part of me couldn't help but envy him as well though. It also got me thinking: am I satisfied with my job? am I happy with the way things are? are there things that I could do to better improve myself?

All this thinking made me realized how despite my two degrees, I still don't really have enough skills out there to make myself truly marketable. Sure, I can write policy documents, do research, and make slidedeck presentations - but I can barely read blueprints, can't do any of the AutoCAD/3D imagining stuff, and my GIS skills are slowly slipping away. In other words, I think I'm slowly falling into that policy niche and I'm not sure if it's what I want to do for the next 30 years of my life.

So, I'm thinking - maybe I need to do something about it. What can I do to make myself more marketable? Could this mean more school? and if so, would I go back and do yet another Master degree? or should I try my luck and aim for a PhD (and spend 6 years part time doing it?!), or should I just go for CE courses in GIS or CAD and try my luck there?

Hmm. I think I'm just getting restless, or maybe, after working full time for more than 2 years, I still miss school - a lot.

No comments: