Sunday, September 11, 2005

Do Rude People have Breakfast on Pluto? (@TIFF)


September 10, 2005 - One of my biggest pet peeves is people who butt in front of others in lines. I absolutely cannot stand it when selfish inconsiderate people believe they are better than everyone else and don't have to get in line. Fortunately, I don't encounter these people that often, but an ugly incident occurred at the Toronto Film Festival tonight.

Tonight we went to see Breakfast on Pluto, starring the awesome Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later, Red Eye, Batman Begins). We were there an hour early and the line had already stretched around the block. By 8:30 pm, the line had stretched for another block - with probably more than 200 people behind us. It was when I noticed these two blonde 30+ ladies chatting with the festival volunteer beside us (who was doing a really poor job - he paid no attention to the line at all). At 9 pm, the line started to move. The two clever ladies smoothly merged into the line - right in front of me ! Of course, I told them that "there's a line up here you know". One of them quickly shot back "we were in line somewhere too" and just kept walking. I quickly protested and I think it was when I just lost it. I told Michael and Jason about it and they too were surprised. I was just pissed off - I just went on a rampage on how rude people can be and how uncivilized some people are. The ladies shot back comments at me, but I didn't hear them. I loudly called them bitches - which I think at that moment in time, was considered somewhat "polite" already. By the time we got inside, I had pretty much cooled off - I was still upset, but I figured I couldn't do much (though now that I'm writing this, a million other thoughts come to mind as to how I could've totally told them off).

What got me really upset though was not the fact the two women had gotten in front of me, it was what Jason said to me when we reached our seats. He said something like I should've just let it go, and that I had "called them names, and that's an entirely different level". The way that he spoke to me made me feel like I was wrong and I should've just kept my mouth shut. It also made me feel like I was being talked down at - and what exactly did he mean by an entirely different level ? that I was acting below them ? His tone of voice made me feel like I had done something wrong, when clearly I was just defending myself against people who clearly have taken advantage of us.

I HATE being taken advantage of (that hatred goes back a long long way)- and I absolutely hate it when people think they are better than everyone else and they are allowed to bend rules. But I think it was how Jason reacted that made me upset the most. I don't know why he had to speak to me like that. Sure, I could've used better wording or reacted to the situation more politely - but how could I when clearly what they had done was so disrespectful. I also didn't call them names to their face - I had said it loud enough so that I'm sure they could hear me, but it wasn't like I was in their face. What had I done that was so wrong.

Perhaps tonight is just one of those nights. I'm not mad - just a little upset I guess. Perhaps I'm also too sensitive. Maybe I just need some time to reflect on this situation. Maybe he was tired and he just didn't want to deal with me and my usual drama tonight.

On a positive note, I did get to see Cillian Murphy up close and personal - it was definitely cool (he walked right past me on my way to the bathroom). We also saw Liam Neeson, which was neat as well.

More blogs about the film festival as the week progresses...

No comments: