Friday, September 09, 2005

Toronto International Film Festival - Gala


September 9, 2005 - Tonight I saw my first ever Toronto International Fim Festival Gala Presentation. The last time I was at TIFF was 2 years ago, when my friend Erin and I went to see "The Singing Detective" with Robert Downey Jr. and Katie Holmes. Anyway, we saw L'Enfer, which isn't really my first choice (I would've picked a movie where I know the stars...), but still, it was really cool to be seated at Roy Thompson Hall for a movie premiere. The movie was in French and it starred some really good French stars, who unfortunately I have never heard of (but judging from the reception they got from the audience, they must be pretty big). We were among the lucky few that got asked to move from the nose-bleed balcony section to the 3rd row on the floor - that itself was pretty cool.

As for the movie itself, I enjoyed it. The movie is part of a 3 part triliogy, with the first one being "Heaven" starring Cate Blanchette and Giovanni Ribisi
. In L'Enfer, the story revolved around the lives of 3 sisters and how they dealt with a family tragedy. Each of the sisters had their own dysfunctional relationship, one of which resembled the one they had to endure in their childhood.

The acting was superb (two of the stars were in attendance) and it was a tense family drama. The tile of the film, which means "Hell" in English, is opened for interpretation. Does it mean the sisters are living in hell ? or does it mean they have gone through hell ? hmm....

Tomorrow we're watching Breakfast on Pluto with Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later, Red Eye, etc). More on that later...

No comments: