Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Not City Hall After All ?!

September 27, 2005 - So City Hall might not be in my future afterall - at least not in the short term.

Last Friday afternoon, I was all ready to give my current acting manager (manager #3 since June) my resignation letter. I had previously told him that I'll be leaving my position because of the job offer from UASRB and he was really supportive when I told him. Anyway, I had my letter all typed up and was about to give it to him when I saw my previous acting manager (manager #2). Manager #2, Rupert, had always been nice to me - he was the first real manager that I had work under (since my first manager, Maggie, left the week that I started). So I figured I should be the one to tell him about my new position, rather than have him find out through the "staff changes" email that seems to go out every week (yes, our branch is sorta like the revolving door - people come and go all the time).

What happened next was pretty surprising (and flattering). Rupert asked if I would stay if the Branch offers the same contract to me: same pay, same position, same benefits. I think my exact reaction was: huh? what? - so anyway, Rupert told me not to resign yet, and that he will talk to the Director of the branch and he would get back to me as soon as possible. So there I sat stunned, by the fact that now I have two job offers, and by the fact that my salary will go up no matter what !!

So I took some time to think about the Branch's offer - I mean, I've just started to pick up on the housing stuff, and there are more learning opportunities in the Branch, not to mention the possibility of being switched to permanent status (the UASRB job is to cover someone who's on Mat leave). ..

So on Monday, I got pulled into Manager #5's office (who just started that very day) and was offered the contract. The contract is for a shorter period though (only 6 months) but with a good possibility to turn permanent. I was also told that I'll be given more responsibilities, so I won't just come to work and sit and be bored (and for that I'm grateful).

So after weighing everything from the working environment (and I have made a lot of friends where I work now) to personal growth, I've decided to stay put and see what happens. I feel bad calling back the UASRB manager to decline the job - but hey, gotta do what's best for me right?

I guess City Hall just doesn't really work for me eh?

No comments: