Saturday, October 08, 2005

Yonge & Eglinton, Here I come !

October 8, 2005 - So after all these years of whining, complaining, bitching, crying (ok, may be a little extreme here) about living in the suburbs and spending 5 hours on transit going to and from work, I have finally decided (and convinced my parents) to move out !

Initially, I thought about staying put and save up to buy the condo. That thought quickly disappeared though when I thought about how brutal it would be to spend another winter waiting for buses that don't come, not being able to get to work on time (I have to be there by 8am every morning to do media clippings now, long story...), and how early I will have to wake up whenever there's snow on the ground, I figured you know, I need to get outta there now. Add in the personal growth factors, I can't see a better timing.

So after convincing my parents over the past couple of months and evaluating the pros-and-cons of moving out, I decided to go ahead and just do it.

I have to admit that the apartment hunt process wasn't very extensive. Freeman and I did go around to check out various buildings in the Yonge & Eglinton and Davisville areas - but we really only saw maybe 5 buildings? I like Midtown mainly because it's close enough to downtown without really living downtown (there are other factors too - like being close to Jason and Freeman, and only half an hour from home by car). Anyway, looking around, I figured it would probably be most convenient if I live right above Yonge & Eglinton centre - with direct access to the subway and the mall (which means I won't ever have to get out and face the elements in winter!).

So today, we went to check out the units and we were shown one on the 8th floor that seems pretty decent. The unit has been vacant for awhile - but it looks fairly clean. The 1 bedroom apartment faces north - so I will at least get a decent view.

The rent is steep though and it would mean a lot of budgeting (a skill which I will have to master soon). So after going back and forth about it - I finally signed the lease today.

I don't know how my parents feel about it - I mean, it's sad for them, partly because it's a cultural thing (you don't move out till you're married) and partly I think they are losing their control over me. Mom's already nervous that I'm going to be moving in with some boy...

I think it'll be a learning process for everyone, for me especially, to finally to be on my own and to learn what it's like to do everything myself. It's definitely scary, but it's also very exciting. For my parents, they need to learn to let go, and to realize that I'm no longer 5 years old.

So Yonge & Eg, here I come ! Though, I still have a few more weeks before I actually move in...

No comments: