Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sporting Life 10K

May 7, 2006 - Well, I did it - and I didn't pass out either!

This morning I, along with 7000+ other people, ran the Sporting Life 10K. This race is said to be the easiest 10K course in Canada, primarily because it's pretty much a downhill run from Yonge & Eglinton to the CN Tower. Money raised from the race helps support a summer camp for children with cancer.

So rather than sleeping in like I normally do on a Sunday morning, I woke up bright and early and joined three of my friends for the run. I have to admit that I asked myself several times what the hell I was doing as I was getting ready, but once I got to the start line and got to see the crowd, I was actually hyped and ready to do it.

Now I'm definitely not an athlete and it has been a long time since I have ran long distances (those good old high school days when I was on the x-country team seem so long ago...), so why did I do it? well partly to challenge myself and to get myself back in shape, and also partly to cross one thing off my to-do list!

The run turned out better than I thought - it was really motivating to run with a large group of people of all ages. It was also nice to have people lined the street to cheer you on! The only thing that sucked were all the angry drivers who kept honking and at one intersection, were literally yelling and swearing, at the runners for blocking off the streets - sheesh, didn't you check the traffic report before heading out
?

I ran the whole race without stopping and without really being too tired out either (I guess those runs at the gym helped?) - my time was something like 1:03:24 - definitely a laughable time, but the fact is I actually went out there and did it, and I'm proud of myself for doing that :)

So what's next then? For one thing, I hope to keep running and perhaps run another race this year (there were talks of us doing a short 5K some time in June). For now though, I think I would just let my legs rest.

No comments: