Sunday, October 08, 2006

A Moment Like This

October 8, 2006 - Yesterday was my friend Joyce and Tak's wedding. They are the first high school friends of mine to get married and I was honoured to have been asked to be one of the groomsmen. It was also the first wedding that I have actually been involved with (in terms of planning and stuff), and I have to say that it was a blast!

The wedding went off without a hitch - everything was perfect: the weather, the dress, the food. The bride and
the bridesmaid were stunning (the pink theme turned out much better than anyone thought it would). It was an outdoor wedding and even though it's October already, it was warm and sunny (felt more like August than October). I also got to meet a lot of new people and saw a lot of friends that I haven't seen in years. The wedding was a mixed of traditional Chinese culture and Western style and that itself was pretty neat (as I've never really experienced weddings this close and personal)!

I guess it's true that when your childhood friends start to get married, you know you're finally growing up - I was definitely feeling that yesterday. It was like another cold hard reminder that you're becoming an adult, and that your childhood (or teenagehood) is coming to an end. I guess now with a real job, an upcoming condo and mortgage payments, and things like RRSP and pension plans and credit card bills, weddings and marriages are just yet more things to add to my "remember you're not 15 anymore" list.

Having said that, I have to say I really enjoyed being part of this wedding - Tak and Joyce have been together since high school (9+ years) and I couldn't have been happier for the two of them. Even though I had to wear a pink tie, sing "A Moment Like This" in front over 150 people (it was the wedding party's gift to the bride and groom), and wake up at 5 on a Saturday morning, I was really touched that they had included me in the wedding party. As for weddings - this is definitely not the end - I have another much larger wedding next May, where not only will I be one of the groomsmen, but I will also be the m/c for the day.

It has been a busy fall but now with 2 down (the film festival and the wedding) - just one more big event to go before Christmas: my Europe trip in November! and that I can't wait :)


No comments: