Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My thoughts on Valentine's Day

February 13, 2007 - So I've blogged about birthdays and Christmas - it's only fair that the next big holiday that I tackle is Valentine's Day, or specifically why I think it's the worst "holiday" of them all.

First of all, Valentine's Day is NOT a holiday - at least not in its present form. It's entirely a marketing scheme designed to make people (men in particular) spend
$ following the January slump. If you're single, the stores make you feel pathetic and sorry for yourself for not having someone. If you're coupled, the stores almost make you feel guilty if you decide to pass over the "holiday".

In my humble opinion, Valentine's Day should not be the only day when you "express your love" for each other - what's more important should be the other 364 days of the year. How you treat, love and respect one another on an everyday basis is what matters more. Sure you can get a diamond ring for V-day, but if he goes back to neglecting you the next day, then what good will a diamond ring do?

So I guess what I'm saying is if you're happy with your relationship, then everyday should be like Valentine's Day - sure it takes effort (which may even involve walking across Queen's Park in freezing cold weather!), but the end result is so worth it :)

2 comments:

Bernarrrd said...

LOL, well you don't HAAAAAAAAAVE to walk across Queen's Park, y'know? =P

felix said...

Well I wasn't complaining! :D