Sunday, March 04, 2007

Pigeon Problem

March 4, 2007 - So I have never liked pigeons and this dislike has grown into hatred in recent years. In my view, pigeons are really just rats with wings - they are a nuisance that do more harm than good in an urban environment. The Hitchcock movie Birds didn't help either - the sight of a flock of pigeons (and seagulls, and crows) gives me chills.

Take my balcony for example: for some reason, pigeons have been hanging outside on my balcony for the past week. They pooped everywhere: the railing, my windowsill, on top of my AC. Frankly it's disgusting.

Then the other night, I heard this banging sound outside. I looked out my window and saw 5 disgusting pigeons staring back at me with their big round eyes. Apparently two of them were "humping" one another on top of my AC unit, hence the banging sound (I guess I interrupted their "fun", but why were the other 3 pigeons just sitting there?). Watching pigeons mate definitely is not hot.

And finally yesterday, when visiting St. Jamestown with B (he was there for a project, not a tour), there were dead pigeons littered all over the grounds. Now I'm not sure how they died, but shouldn't someone have picked up the carcasses? isn't it a health hazard? would the carcasses be lying around out in the open if the birds had died in a different neighbourhood (think like Rosedale or Forest Hill)?

2 comments:

Louise said...

I also hate pigeons with a passion! They don't get out of your way even when you're a step away from kicking them! F***ing dumbnuts.

Bernarrrd said...

wow, i can't believe i haven't read this entry until now! I guess this is what happens when you publish like 5 posts all at once! hahaha...

anyway, thanks for going to st jamestown avec moi in the cold... it certainly beats going alone!

*wants more of those noodles*