Monday, February 26, 2007

Nathan Phillips Square Design Competition

February 26, 2007 - Today I had the chance to check out the Nathan Phillips Square Revitalization Design Competition exhibit at City Hall. As I didn't attend the actual presentations, my review here is purely based on the few panels and models that were on display. For such a high profile $40 million international competition though, I have to say that I wasn't entirely impressed by what I saw. All four proposals seem quite a bit dull and restrained - as in I feel like something bigger, grander could have been done with the square. Here are some of my thoughts on the four designs (in order of preference):

1) Rogers Marvel Architects


The biggest feature of this proposal is a raised woodland/meadow planted with native trees that would stretch from Queen Street to the north of square. Underneath this raised hill is a curved glass-enclosed public space for winter - complete with a restaurant, skate rental counter, shops, and even a fire pit. I also like the reflecting pool on the podium around the top of council chamber. The whole concept is actually really pretty and it brings nature back into the square's barren landscape.

2) Plant Architect

Fairly simple design I have to say, compared to the other proposals. This design features a green perimeter of trees along the square. It also features a theatre stage for public performances (think New Year's Eve) and the opening up of the podium for public access. I have mixed emotions about the green perimeter - it sorta shelters the square even more rather than opening it up to the street. And the walkways really need to go...

3) Baird Sampson Neuert Architects

Definitely environmentally conscious. I like how this proposal has a strong focus on urban ecology, including rainwater collection, wind power generation, and solar power generation. The removable planters idea is cool, but other than that, the proposal really isn't that spectacular. The biggest problem I have with it is how it further isolates the square from Queen Street.

4) Zeidler Partnership Architects


The raised garden on the west side of the square looks kinda weird. I like the idea of lighting projections throughout the square though. I also like the concept of changing the look and feel of the square with the season.

Having said that, all four proposals are miles ahead of what we have now and regardless of who wins, we'll still end up with a better Nathan Phillip Square. Still, you can't help but feel that this is a missed opportunity and we could have done a lot better.

For more information about the Nathan Phillip Square information, click here. All pictures are from the City of Toronto website.

No comments: