Sunday, May 06, 2007

Banned from Facebook

May 6, 2007 - The Ontario government Facebook ban has been making headlines the past couple of days. Personally, I have no idea why this is considered front page news. I mean, with all the problems in the world, how is it possible that banning Facebook for all government employees is deemed as important news? Companies ban websites all the time - and no matter what you say about Facebook, it is still a social network first and foremost. I don't know anyone who uses Facebook as an educational tool or uses it for work purposes (writing on your colleagues' walls does not count!).

To make such a big deal about the Facebook ban makes us, the Ontario civil servants, look as if we just sit around all day and do nothing but use Facebook. The public already has a negative perception of us - why make it worse by public announcing such a silly non-news story?

Having said that, I know quite a few people who are upset about the ban. Well I guess there's always My Space for them...

[note: I am proud to say I have never logged on to Facebook at work! though I have been tempted many times. Too late for that now...]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The public already has a negative perception of us - why make it worse by public announcing such a silly non-news story?"

Couldn't agree more! As if we need more jokes about being government workers!