Sunday, September 30, 2007

Markham Fair 2007

September 30, 2007 - For over one hundred and fifty years, Markham Fair has been a tradition for York Region residents to get together to discuss the latest farming technology, to show off the fruits of their labour, and to purchase a bull or a chicken or two. 2007 marks the 163rd year that Markham Fair has been held and today, it is the largest agricultural fair in Canada.

My first visit to Markham Fair was in 7th grade, when I went with my social studies class. I don't remember much about my first visit anymore, except I got to meet Miss Markham Fair and I got a pink flag from her. This past Saturday marked my return to the Fair in close to 15 years. Not only did I go back as a visitor, I also went back as an exhibitor, having entered the Fair's photography contest.

I thought I would give the photography contest a shot since B won a couple of ribbons last year. I didn't think I will win anything, given that my photography skills aren't that great - so really, I entered just for fun. My sister went to check out the Fair on Friday and was happy to report that I didn't win anything. So Saturday morning, when I walked into the General Exhibition Building, all I really wanted to do was find my pictures on the wall!

But it just so happened that the first picture of mine that I found had a 3rd place sticker on it! Shocking eh? B of course, won a few more ribbons to add to his collection. Anyway, it was all good fun, and a great way to really force myself to learn how to use my camera properly. Now I have a whole year to prepare for next year's contest!

What's cool about the Fair is that even though Markham is no longer considered rural, it still celebrates its historical roots as a farming community by holding an agricultural fair every year. The exhibits, the contests, and the midways ride may appear cheesy, boring, and ancient, but the Fair creates this sense of community that you don't see elsewhere in town (try getting a sense of community at the Pacific Mall parking lot!). Be it families who take their kids to the Fair or old ladies that volunteer their time as judges, the Fair brings you back to a time when things were simpler and life was less hectic. The future of the Fair however, is up in the air. With its location just a stone-throw away from new subdivisions and big box stores, it's only a matter of time before the Fair is gobbled up by the "new" Markham of large houses, wide streets, and more Chinese malls. Kinda sad if you think about it.

1 comment:

Bernarrrd said...

you need to upload that third place picture of yours and show it off to the rest of the world!!! =D... Congrats again, hunnie!