Thursday, September 13, 2007

TIFF '07 - Live from the Toronto International Film Festival


September 13, 2007 - My friend Kanchan and I checked out the Toronto Internat
ional Film Festival tonight at the gala premier of the movie "Reservation Road", starring Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Ruffalo and Jennifer Connelly. TIFF has sorta become one of my annual things to do - the first time I went was actually in my first year of grad school, with my friend Erin, at the old Uptown Theatre. This year, because of my own budget issues, I decided to just go to one movie and invited Kanchan to join me!

So we arrived at Roy Thompson Hall about 20 minutes before the movie was to start. Our line was actually right beside the red carpet/arrival area and after a few minutes, we saw these big SUVs pulled up and out came the stars! The crowd cheered, cameras started flashing, and all 3 stars took some time to sign autographs and take pictures. It was very "Hollywood" that's for sure - I half expected to see Paris or Joan Rivers show up.

Anyway, we didn't get a chance to get close to the stars until we were inside the theatre. Kanchan and I decided to hang out at the lobby and we managed to get close enough to both Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Ruffalo to get them to sign our tickets! We had to fight with a whole bunch of people for that (well Kanchan did, I only snapped the pictures) but it was still a very cool experience! Can't say I have ever done it (despite having gone to the TIFF for the past couple of years now).

As for the movie itself, it was a little bit below our expectation - we weren't sure if it was trying to be a tearjerker or a revenge triller.
Reservation Road tells the story of a hit and run accident that claims the life of a 10 year old boy and the consequences and coincidences as a result of it. The acting was good - but not gripping good. Neither Kanchan nor myself cried, so that says it all! Then again, we were also sitting very high up - so that could've been another reason why we didn't feel the emotional impact of the movie.

Anyway, Kanchan and I both had fun - until I got sick from sushi after dinner (all I can say is, thank goodness for that surprisingly clean bathroom at the Yonge/Bloor Timmy's!). Looks like I won't be eating sushi for awhile =S


1 comment:

Bernarrrd said...

I'm sorry I couldn't go with you guys! Sounds like you guys had fun... well, minus that last part at the Timmy's washroom. Though, still wish I could've been there =(