Saturday, April 16, 2005

Mixed Use Neighbourhoods

April 16, 2005 - In school, I have always heard about the many advanatges of living in a mixed use neighbourhood. It's hard for me to relate to the idea at times as my suburban experiences have always been based on segregated land uses. However, today I got to witness first hand how mixed use neighbourhoods indeed do have a certain charm. As I was leaving Jason's this morning, I got the chance to walk around the Yonge/Eglington area - the landscape of the area is definitely different than what I'm accustomed to. There were lots of people walking around, businesses such as restaurants and small grocery stores were filled with busy saturday shoppers, people were actually using public transit...I really liked how they have the commercial businesses lined up along the main streets (Eglington) and right behind them are the apartment buildings, town homes, and the old single detached homes. It gives a great sense of diversity and makes the neighbourhood more alive. In contrast, if I look out the window right now - I'd be lucky to even see a car - let alone a person walking...

No comments: