Monday, May 02, 2005

The Art of Sim City

May 2nd, 2005 - So with no job and no school, what have I been doing to keep myself busy you say ? well dvds/books/tvs and sleeping in can only go so far...so I have been playing a computer game called Sim City. I grew up with the game - have been playing the earlier versions of it since I was a kid. I still think to a certain extent that it influenced my decision to be a planner ! haha..but anyway, since I now have (or will have in a few weeks) my M.Sc.Pl, I thought I would put my "professional" planning skills to test by planning the latest version of the game. The latest version (version 4) is pretty awesome - great graphics (down to the street level..you can actually see people walking around, waiting for the bus etc), lots of tools (subways, zoos, even a courthouse), and lots more responsiblities. However, after spending several weeks on my city "Fairview", I've come to the conclusion that:

1) You cannot win the game

2) Theoretical Planning Principles don't work - forget about using environmentally friendly power plants - you'll go bankrupt. Public transit ? forget it...the Sims perfer their cars. Mixed Use neighbourhoods ? forget that as well - segregated zoning is what they prefer. Trees are extremely expensive and parks/greenspaces are also pricey. The end result: pro-1960s rational comprehensive planning !

3) No citizen participation - you get a whole bunch of advisors, but where are the citizens ? forget those stupid headlines as well.

Though of course, the game is still very addictive. As of today, I have just installed a new (very expensive) subway system for my city. Now I will have to fight keep my budget balanced and try to make sure my hospitals/clinics are better funded...

Will the game prepare for the real world of planning ? probably not...but hey, it's fun and it kills time ! hehehe...

No comments: