Sunday, December 17, 2006

Countdown to Christmas

December 17, 2006 - Wow, I'm like blogging everyday now. There could only be two reasons for this: 1) I must be really really bored; 2) I'm running out of people to talk to and blogging is the only way to get things out. I have to admit though, I'm really enjoying this return to blogging (the last few months have produced very few blogs).

So a week to go till Christmas - is it just me or does it NOT feel like Christmas at all? I guess the warm weather doesn't help. But then again, ever since I've graduated, the holidays don't really seem all that big anymore. I mean, part of the reason why I loved celebrating Christmas was because it marked the end of exams and the end of term. Now, Christmas is just a couple of days off at work. Well, not that I'm really in the mood to celebrate this year - given the current ugly situation I'm in now.

It's the end of the weekend again - as I mentioned, my parents celebrated their 30th anniversary this weekend. At dinner last night, this bombshell was dropped:

Me: So hey Flo, when you go to HK, you're going to have to buy me a new cell phone.
Sister: Didn't you hear? We're not going anymore. Dad's canceling the trip and refunding the tickets.
Me: What? (completely in shock) Why?
Dad: Well since you couldn't join us, it wouldn't be much of a family trip anyway.
Me: What? (still in shock)
Mom: We're thinking of moving it to November. That will give you a few more months to save up. Plus it would be cheaper then.
Me: Wow (speechless).

Shocking - especially since I was actually pretty bummed out for awhile that they decided to go without me (after I told them there is no way I can afford to go so soon after paying off my condo). So now there's a possibility that I'll be going in November. While that is nice, chances are I probably won't go in November anyway - especially now that I really like this idea of going on a few short trips instead of using up all my holidays on a big trip to Asia. Hmm...I think my grandmother is going to be disappointed though.

Speaking of trips - there's that Vegas trip in February that I'm worried about. Part of me just don't really want to go anymore. But because the airline tickets were a gift from my grandmother, I couldn't change the dates (since they were booked using air miles). After doing a little bit of research this weekend, I found that it's actually cheaper to do a 3 day side trip to somewhere along the West Coast then to spend all 6 days in Vegas (all of a sudden my interest went up). So where to? San Francisco is probably my first choice, though L.A. is also a good possibility. Seattle and Vancouver are a bit farther. But because there is a possibility that I will be going by myself, SF just seems a little bit more friendlier than L.A.

So the last week before Christmas - I gave it some thought as to how I'm going to be spend my holidays. I could sit here and be depressed and sad, or I could at least try to do things that I might enjoy. First thing on my list: Christmas shopping - and wait for it - for myself. I found over $250 dollars worth of gift cards lying around my apartment tonight. So what's better than to buy stuff for myself, but without using my own money?

But until I get the chance to hit the mall (I'm thinking Yorkdale), tomorrow is yet another work day - with a work Christmas party at night. Hopefully both will go by quickly though...

No comments: