Wednesday, April 11, 2007

More on the Toronto Street Furniture Competition


April 11, 2007 - I went to check out the Toronto Street Furniture Design Competition at City Hall today. The City had decided to showcase the models for the three bidders for a few days - but was not however, asking for comments from the public. Anyway, my feelings on the three bidders: well, a bit dull. Similar to my feelings towards the Nathan Phillips Square competition, there is so much potential in designing unique, user-friendly street furniture for our city. Instead, what we got are facilities that focus on ad revenues.

Not all of the models are bad I guess - some of the public washroom designs are quite interesting. I also like the idea of bike lockers and information kiosks. Canopies over subway entrances is also a great idea - and can help make the stairs leading down to the station less slippery and dirty (especially in winter).

If I have to choose, my pick would be the Astral Media 100 series. They are the most consistent out of the 3 bidders. They are pleasant enough I guess, but again nothing spectacular.

I have mixed feelings towards this design competition. I fully understand that given the fiscal situation the City is in, asking the private sector for help in maintaining and operating its public amenities can be considered "smart". Having said that, the 3 bidders also chose to present the city with less than spectacular proposals. Toronto's streets - famously known for its uniqueness and charm - will be blanketed with dull, unoriginal street furniture. And that is quite disappointing.

Here are a few pictures from my visit:



No comments: